Activity: Build a strong base.
Although different and less influential than exercise, activity provides everyone’s most important foundation. It builds fitness fundamentals and betters daily well-being; improving muscles, mobility, and mood.
Be as active as possible: Integrate activity into daily life as much as possible; especially if you’re not a fan of exercise!
- Walking. Gardening. House work. Shopping. General errands.
Aim: To do at least 3 HOURS PER WEEK. This can include your exercise regime.
- Keep your head up: An upright posture is good for the body and frame of mind.
- Every step is a success: Use every step as a visual for going in the right direction: Onwards and upwards.
- Pick up pace: Get to a stable level of breathlessness. Walk briskly for 20-30min. Longer walks: Integrate intervals: i.e. – 4min normal / 1min fast. These walks are as effective as a jog.
- Broaden the mind: Walk different routes and do different things; the same makes us insane!
- Find the sun: Vitamin D makes us happier.
Point of Reference: R. P. E
The R.P.E scale relates to intensity of activity and exercise. Refer to this as a guideline for how hard you should be working.