Exercise does NOT mean you have to get sweaty and uncomfortable! Listen to your body and do what YOU are capable of. A well rounded routine involves cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise to strengthen and improve the heart and lungs, and resistance (strength) training for your muscles.
- Improved energy: Recent studies show resistance training to be as efficient at improving fatigue as Aerobic exercise.
- Improves bone density.
- Improves mood, muscles and mobility.
- Improves joint function and decreases risk/side effects of arthritis.
Cardiovascular (Aerobic) exercise
This can be:
- Walking at a good pace.
- Cycling, jogging, running, swimming.
- Gym based equipment such as step machine, cross trainer, rower.
- Exercise classes; including dance.
|AIM||To elevate your heart rate to a level which is higher than when you are doing general activity.|
|FREQUENCY||2-3 x week (or more if you feel capable)|
|INTENSITY||Elevate heart rate to a safe level of breathlessness. R.P.E: 12-16|
|TIME||Overall duration: Aim to do 20mins. This can be broken down into shorter bouts: I.e walk slow 1min/ walk fast 1min|
|TYPE||Any of the above, also includes hobbies/sports which elevate the heart rate|
Can be done using body-weight at home or in the park, or with equipment:
- Resistance bands.
- Medicine ball/ Swiss ball/ Bosu ball.
- Gym based machines.
- Gym based classes with weights.
|AIM||To perform exercises which stimulate and strengthen your muscles.|
|FREQUENCY||2 x week (ALLOW 48hrs between resistance training sessions for recovery)|
|INTENSITY||Increase/decrease intensity by firstly raising/lowering amount of repetitions or resistance. You can also increase or decrease intensity by having less/more rest in-between each circuit or exercise. Rest: at any point you feel necessary. Always make sure you maintain perfect technique during exercises. R.P.E: 12-16|
|TIME||1-3 sets of 12-20 repetitions per exercise. Overall duration: Aim to do 20mins.|
|TYPE||Bodyweight or equipment|
See our simple and effective weekly ACTIVITY/EXERCISE routine.